Thursday 9 July 2009

triskaidekaphilia

right. i'll tell you a secret.

i have this tattoo on my inner wrist. it's a small black and grey tonal masterpiece... exquisite, even, and was done by someone celebrated in the field some time ago, when i emerged, blinking, after the whole kidsdadleavinginablazeofgloryand (deep breath) resultingyearlongnervousbreakdown fandango. someone needed to draw a literal line under things for me. i needed to claim myself back in a fairly brutal way. if stigma is on me, it needn't be in me.

it's a xiii. i know, what a badass.

not being part of a mexican gang, or much of a rockabilly, it's symbolism to me can be quickly explained as "change is good; what may look like bad luck is the necessary order of life; challenge is blessing and opportunity- BRING IT." i won't go deep into my reasons why i went and got it, or start lecturing you on prime numbers, tarot and the mayan calendar or indeed my extensive personal connection to the number for fear of inspiring a multiple eyeroll pileup, but it was a valuable process, and even my mother, who is a harbinger of good taste and was understandably opposed to the venture, thinks it beautiful. i'm not one of those mayan calender folks anyways.

in a nutshell, it's purpose is, and always has been, to serve as a personal attitude crib note whenever the whole single mother thing- or indeed the whole grown up life thing- challenges my patience/ will to live. obviously since i got it the children grew and changed, the challenges were different; the whole rudy/ASD rollercoaster started.

it helps.


speech and language therapy and educational psychology assessments next week.




.

7 comments:

  1. Do bring the mayan calender to the assessment. It might help. Otherwise come back for tea here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! may i have earl grey, please? i seem to have misplaced my mayan page-to-a-day diary though... *jogs to apple for an appropriate app*...

    ReplyDelete
  3. *reads blurb*

    "...also, this application makes no mention or prediction about the end of the world".

    bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know, that's so true. And the converse also holds true - those that haven't experienced adversity often are...lacking. There are people who complain about extremely trivial, stupid stuff. I've gotten to the point where I can't even feign sympathy.(btw, I know some one take exception to ASD = adversity, but you know what I mean.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *chants photo photo photo photo photo*

    ReplyDelete
  6. laura- indeed. and perhaps more importantly, these people just aren't funny.

    r-ma- one day... not trying to be mysterious, just it's not good when i try to photograph it because i have to hold my wrist wierd and it stretches out and looks a bit crap and i'm not posting a photo of it that makes you think "oh, that's crap" if i can possibly help it.

    ReplyDelete