Thursday 4 June 2009

oc-dc

"it seems that for success in science and art," hans asperger wrote, "a dash of autism is essential."

i recently witnessed someone very dear to me boiling and ironing 20 of her son's handkerchiefs. it was a beautiful day outside. she was being exorted to come outside, put her feet up, and enjoy her beautiful garden and a glass of wine. no, she said, i have to finish these, clean out a cupboard and properly store these cashmere pieces i have just laundered. then i have to polish the bannisters. no, don't worry, i want to do it. i know what i'm doing, so i'll have it done in a couple of hours. no, go you and sit down.

it was her birthday. swear to god.

seems to me, for perfect housekeeping, a dash of ocd is essential.

i don't have ocd.



.

6 comments:

  1. The requirement for perfection is a disordering obsessive compulsion. I want a salt pig for my life. As I rather tend to live it as a sponge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... how about one of those floatation tanks?

    i don't think le creuset do them though, which is a minor blow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess my husband and I are exhibit A - totally compulsive, and yes you could eat off of our floors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm one of those frantic underpant ironing types with shined surfaces, but appaulingly disorganised cupboards.

    and on my birthday i am generally drunk from 10am, and the bannisters can just hang, frankly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have ocd, but my house ain't floor eating clean, not that I would do that being ocd!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, hang on, does trichotillamania count?

    ReplyDelete