Sunday 15 March 2009

dos-stitch


following on from my post last night i began to wonder if the computer/ craft interface (heh) is an unexplored juxtaposition, and, lo, it is not. the above image appears at the incredible endfile, and i was so excited when i saw it, i started to hyperventilate. well, i haven't had access to the internet for a long time, the information equivalent of not getting out much. anyway.

when i was sixteen, i made a wedding dress out of clingfilm and bubblewrap, with tin can corsetry. it was a clumsy statement, if a fairly beautiful object, and one i don't really need to talk anyone through i don't imagine. i bring it up because i have always been interested in the more "feminine" arts, and how they can be niftily spun to have, for want of a better expression before i have my coffee, bite. i also just love doing it. at school as i sat working with my embroidery frame, doing intricate goldwork, i came up against so much questioning and zipfile snobbery, that, so lacking in confidence, i just abandoned the craft and threw myself into the safety of marketing mass produced clothing. i wasn't working on kittens or disney slogans about dreams, i knew what i wanted to say but my voice was too small then.

last year, it became important to me that i take it up again. i am currently working on the crosstitch equivalent of sas training. all the fun things are done now on it, and all that is left is to infill, so much infill, which i have been doing since january and expect to be doing until, like, june. to me the important thing is not so much the finished piece, it is that i do it. it has taught me important lessons about the fact that my time has value, that i can produce something of unknowable worth that could possibly survive for generations. it has shown me that i have underestimated my own stamina.

to sit and do something like that, i read, "silences the inner chatter"- i'd be so interested to read more about crosstitch as coping mechanism, and i wonder what i might have been producing a few years ago had i the freedom to do so... it almost frightens me.





.

No comments:

Post a Comment