Thursday 9 April 2009

june is indeed a far off land

it is now the easter holidays, and my body seems to want me to use these two weeks to slide into a coma- probably to catch up on the thousands of missed hours sleep last term. or escape the omniscient alternate rage/ clinginess of my daughter. however, no can do- there's bills to pay and ironing to iron and a patio to lay and a huge chocolate nigella lawson confection to bake and meltdowns to manage and wall-e related obsessive behaviour to distract from and why is there glue all over coffee table and i thought i might have my hair done. but first let me slump gently over the espresso machine and say this.

i received a letter this morning, concerning my daughter poppy's recent referral to the school health nursing service. we have an appointment. in june. 06/o9. again- june. now correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't june like some far off land with hover cars and roll-up lcd screens, where i hold a driving license and the human race has possibly been enslaved by apes or robots or robot apes? forgive my hysteria, i know how over subscribed these services are. but for the first time since embarking on this spectral adventure i felt something a little like panic. june? i don't know what's going to happen between now and june?

and then i thought well, what's going to happen at this appointment that's going to make everything better anyway? a diagnosis? that's never left you exactly awash with relief before. so, with a big sigh, i just carried on. there was a scene over some face paints and my reluctance to let poppy transform herself and her brother into daleks. there was screaming. i kept my calm. i administered some more fish oil, some more tender, loving reassurance, and some spongebob. and then i turned my attention to my daughter.

in other news- the curse of the grey dress has been lifted and i am currently suspended in romantic bliss, like an anchovy in aspic.




.

No comments:

Post a Comment